INSTALLATION & MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
Cement tiles show variation in colors and design; cement tiles will not be identical piece to piece. This is a result of the handmade process and the nature of cement. Mixing tiles from different boxes during setting is suggested to produce a beautiful naturally rich appearance. Details can be seen in a close-up, but will be invisible when installation is completed.
If properly installed, cement tiles will result in a beautiful, durable, easy to maintain surface that can be enjoyed for many years.
** Treatments must be done after installation and when tiles are completely dry.
** It is recommended to make a test on a single piece to check the desired finish.
Care and inspection
1) Do not let cases or cement tiles get wet. Store material in a dry area. Moisture or dampness can cause tiles to get stain, color fades or damage the surface tile showing cracks and pitting.
2) Inspect your order carefully. Original Mission Tile will not be responsible for material that has been cut or installed. Throughout the installation process and handling of the tile, be careful not to damage the finished surface, edges and corners of the tiles.
3) Original Mission Tile, as a product of cement and natural materials, is subjected to color and shade variations and it is recommended to mix the tiles from the different cases. Allow tiles to get dried in their final environment prior to installation.
4) Original Mission Tile is a cement-based product and may have residue on the surface. Before starting the installation, it is highly recommended to clean all tiles with clean cloth to remove any residue and get a clean tile surface.
5) Tiles must be installed over a flat, level, stable and completely dried concrete surface. Moisture, water evaporation or excess of water can cause stains, pitting or cracking on the tile surface, this effect is a natural reaction of cement-based products. Original Mission Tile will not be responsible for any damage, as this issue will be cause by negligence during the installation.
6) When installing we recommend to install first the center tiles, then the borders tiles and finally the field tiles that will surround the pattern. Be sure to handle the tiles face to face to avoid scratching the tile surface.
7) Use a high quality thin-set adhesive based in cement, such as a Laticrete or Mapei product. Contact adhesive manufacturer to recommend the appropriate adhesive. Follow adhesive manufacturer's instructions. Original Mission Tiles are not intended for installation methods employing large quantities of water. Do not install during excessively hot weather or full, direct sun.
8) Make sure that adhesive is applied to the full back of each tile (100% coverage). It is recommended to apply the back buttering to get a better adherence.
9) Do not beat with a mallet or rubber hammer to set tiles, this can break the tiles or form thin cracks on the tiles surface, level your tiles using hand pressure. Remove excess adhesive from the surface with a damp cloth or sponge when it is fresh to avoid any stains. Tiles should be cut using a sharp diamond blade in conjunction with water to avoid chipping of edges.
10) Allow tiles and mortar bed to dry out completely before starting to seal and/or polish the tiles. Do not cover the tiles to allow breathing and evaporation of all moisture, moisture can cause stains, pitting or cracking in the tiles surface. Do not step on tiles until mortar bed is dried.
Sealing, grouting & re-sealing
11) Cement tiles are porous and not pre-sealed. Therefore, sealing with a penetrating sealer is necessary before applying the grout, be careful with dark color grouts, it could stain the tiles specially in light colors, we recommend to make a test in a single tile to see the result before applying it to the complete area.
12) There are different types of sealers that offer different finishes, matt, enhanced and gloss sheen, if you prefer a glossy finish tiles can be polished with wax, this process must be done by a professional, never buff tiles with an abrasive pad or disc, this process will damage the color surface.
13) Make sure to seal with an impregnating or penetrating sealer after cleaning and before grouting, apply 2 thin coats of the sealer and allow sealer coats to dry completely, refer to manufacturer instructions. Use a dry absorbent white cloth, clean mop or a solvent resistant spryer. Follow sealant's instructions and remove all excess sealeant from the tile surface.
14) Cement tiles are installed edge to edge with a minimal grout line using unsanded grout to allow expansion, for large grout line use a sanded grout. Recommended grout joint width is 1/16"-1/8". Joints should be full and free of all voids and pits. Once grout has been applied and starts to dry, remove excess grout immediately. Do not affix duct tape, gaffer tape or acid tapes directly onto cement tiles surface. Tape can discolor or stain your cement tiles.
15) After cleaning process has been completed and accepted, it is recommended to re-seal the tiles and grout lines for extra protection, especially in water places to avoid any water filtrations and moisture.
16) After installation, wash floor with a PH neutral detergent. Use a single disc floor machine with a white pad to remove any residue, remove excess dirt and water. Do not use any acids or alkalines to clean tiles. Use a PH neutral cleaner and fine sandpaper to remove any stain or residues. Do not allow water or other liquids to spot, pond or ring on the surface tiles.
17) For ongoing maintenance, clean regularly with a neutral detergent and buff tiles with a soft white pad. Extremely heavy foot traffic or out-door installations may require additional maintenance. A natural patina will occur as the floor is maintained and wears.
18) The use of properly sized walk-off mats at entrances and sweeping or dust mopping is most important to remove abrasive grit that may cause wear.
19) Do not allow any water accumulation or filtration, moisture will cause stains, pitting and cracking on tiles surface.
** If you have any questions, contact your distributor before cutting or installing tiles.
** Be sure to have a copy of these recommendations and familiarize yourself or installer with these installation recommendations prior to start installation.